Saturday, April 18, 2009

I Got A Job

Drum roll please... To answer the question everyone is asking me...

Photobucket

I accepted a job with TMZ.  No, I'm not moving to LA.  I'm going to work out of their New York City office... which is right in Times Square (translation: really easy commute).  I love the opportunity because it's totally different than anything I've ever done but I still get to use the skills I've developed over the past 10 years.  For the first time in my career, I'm not going to end my day in a control room making live TV happen.  And I'm totally okay with that.  It was time for a change.

So what exactly will I be doing?  It sounds like I'll be part producer, part assignment editor, part writer, part investigative reporter and part a lot of other stuff too.  Plus, all the useless pop culture knowledge in my head suddenly isn't so useless.  It is going to be a very demanding job, but I think it could also be a lot of fun.

Another thing that made TMZ attractive is that the web site is just as big a deal as the TV show. This isn't a TV station that also has a web site.  It's a package deal.  All my TV friends know that the web has changed our business forever... so I'm trying to change with it.  

This job... and the back-and-forth leading up to me actually accepting the position last night... is the reason I stopped blogging. This has been going on for a few weeks and I didn't want to jinx anything...  kind of like not talking to a pitcher during a no-hitter.

I've had some spectacular posts about unemployment in my head that I just couldn't write. The best one... my first interview with TMZ was canceled last minute... because Chris Brown was arrested. I actually got the phone call the night before while I was in Staples buying more resume paper so I could print out extra copies. At that point, it wasn't clear when we'd be able to reschedule.  I remember standing in the checkout line trying to decide if I should laugh or cry... and if I should even bother buying the paper.  You can't make that stuff up.

Anyway... thank you all for your kind wishes... it really means a lot.

Oh... one other question I keep getting asked... am I going to be on the show?  I highly doubt it since it's taped in LA... and that's not why I took the job.  But if by chance it does happen... trust me...  you're gonna hear about it...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats for snagging that job at TMZ. That was a pretty long unemployment, and the perseverance is totally worth it. I also had my episode of unemployment when me and my co-workers got laid off, but luckily, the hunt for a job is short, after two weeks with the help of my friends and the reemployment services program. I got myself back in business.

    The pay is great, weekends off, good co-workers, a boss that motivates us all, and the best of all, a good worker compensation program that keeps me and my family sane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful stuff. Wishing you well. One of the coolest and nicest people I ever worked with

    ReplyDelete