Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow Day

Photobucket

Thanks to Facebook, I now know what about 800 of my closest friends are doing at all times.  And today it seems they all have something to say about the snow.  Most are angry their commute sucked.  Others aren't happy they had to shovel before work.  The teachers all slept with their pajamas inside out, praying for the day off... and got up at 5am to find out the snow gods gave them their wish.  Lots of people are "working from home" today, which probably means hot chocolate, Facebook, movies and Guitar Hero.  And then there are my tv friends. 

For those of you not in the biz, there is nothing worse than having to work in tv on a snow day. You usually have to be at work at least one hour earlier, and when your in time is 3am... well... that means you are on the clock at 2am.  Reporters and photographers stand outside for hours, telling people not to leave the house.  Always seemed like a living, breathing, walking contradiction to me, but what do I know anyway?  The weather anchors will spend 5 minutes talking about what they really could tell me in 30 seconds or less: how much are we going to get and when will it end? (for the record, Dave Price would have taken 10 minutes).  And everyone in the newsroom and out in the elements will say they just can't wait for the day to be over.

Anyway... I have a message for everyone and anyone who has whined and complained about the snow today.  On behalf of all my unemployed friends...

SHUT UP.

You have a job.  I know that sounds bitter and angry, but it's really not.  It's a reminder.  I've heard so many people say they are "just thankful to have a job these days."  So a few flakes shouldn't change that.  I just wanted to remind you of the fact that there are millions of us who would trade places with you in a heartbeat.... even if it meant having to get up a little earlier to make it to work today.

Photobucket
Lower Manhattan is there... somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Nice piece J! And for the record, I am actually thrilled not to have to be standing outside telling people how miserable it is outside and having no one watch because they're smart enough to be watching TIVO'd shows.

    ReplyDelete