Monday, March 16, 2009

Working Is Hard Work

I am out of shape.  Really out of shape.  I don't really mean physical shape... although I have slacked off when it comes to hitting the gym lately.  What I'm talking about is working shape.

Last week was tough.  I worked five days in a row, adding up to about 45 hours.  No, I wasn't working in TV again.  My office was a bar... three different bars to be exact.  I worked as a bartender on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and I played the guitar on Wednesday and Friday.  Plus, I was still chasing down leads on jobs during the day.  I haven't worked that hard since I left NBC on December 5th.  Simply being on my feet for that many hours was enough to wipe me out.  I don't think I woke up before noon all week. 

You can make all the jokes you want about making drinks or singing songs by the Backstreet Boys for drunk girls until the wee small hours of the morning.  Yes, both jobs are a lot more fun than sitting at a desk. But at the same time, both jobs are much more physically demanding than sitting at a desk.  When I finally walked out of Whiskey Bar at 3:45 Sunday morning, the short five block stroll to my apartment felt like five miles. (Shameless plug alert: I'll be back behind the bar on Tuesday for Saint Patrick's Day... come in for $2 Coors Light drafts and $5 bombs... stop by for a drink or 6!).

By the time Sunday came around, I was dying for a day off.  It was the first time I felt that way in more than three months.  Kind of ironic... the unemployed guy desperately needed a day off.

I did nothing on Sunday.  I felt like I earned it.  Besides, my couch missed me.  As I sprawled out to watch Tropic Thunder again while overindulging in General Tso's Chicken and Shrimp Lo Mein, I started thinking... working for a living is hard work.  I admit, I kind of forgot that.  And I shouldn't have.

Last week kicked my ass.  When I do get a new full time job it's going to take weeks to get my body back on a regular routine.  That's not going to be fun.  Actually, it will probably feel miserable.  Bring it on.

Photobucket
On the job last Wednesday night.  Somewhere there's a joke to be made about the t-shirt I have on, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

2 comments:

  1. Krypto-Nate scoffs at Superman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joke is...
    "Clearly you and Avila each grabbed the others short this morning...he's walking around right now with a shirt that says 'And on the 7th day, God created New Jersey."

    ReplyDelete