Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why You Always Need A Backup Plan- VISUAL EVIDENCE!

This might seem like it's only for the TV people... but trust me... it's not.

I was going through my closet this morning looking for my certificate from my Emmy nomination for resume purposes.  In the same envelope... I found this picture.

Photobucket

This is a picture of the WNBC newsroom on 9/10/07.  We had just finished the very first broadcast of New York Nightly News with Chuck Scarborough.  I'm on the right, in a white shirt with my back to the camera.  I'm standing next to a very pleased then-GM Frank Comerford. Former News Director Dan Forman is standing across from me in a white shirt and tie, thanking the troops for their hard work.  Chuck also had some very nice things to say- you can see him leaning up against the assignment desk.  At the time, it seemed like a turning point for the station. 

Funny... because also this morning... I opened the Daily News to see this picture.

Photobucket

This is what WNBC now calls the "content center."  That's Meredith, Tom & Vickie... the 3 people in charge of the operation.  They are smiling because their long-awaited 24-7 channel launches on Monday.  You can see the news set off in the background.

What you can't see... these pictures were taken from the EXACT SAME SPOT IN THE ROOM. I kid you not.  Anyone who worked in both the "newsroom" and the "content center" can tell you that.  They knocked down the walls and rebuilt the place around us, as we worked.  It was not a fun experience.  The 3 people in the bottom picture-- now in charge of running the place-- were not even at the station when the top picture was taken.  And a good chunk of the people in the top picture were fired, laid off or took buyouts to escape the drastic changes.

It's really like a bizarre game of photo hunt and the bar is full of TV people.  The pictures are a year and a half apart, but the change actually happened in less than a year.  One more time for emphasis.

Photobucket

Photobucket


I wish Meredith, Tom, Vickie and everyone at WNBC the best of luck with their new venture.  I really mean that in the nicest way.  So why do I have to bring this all up and post photos that might be tough for some of you to look at?  And why did I tell you non-TV people to read?

I remember the first time I walked into the WNBC newsroom.  I thought... wow... the people who have worked here... the history.  It was the newsroom of all newsrooms.  And before it was WNBC's home, it was Johnny Carson's studio.  Hallowed ground in TV land.  I felt privileged to be a part of it... to have my desk right in the center of it all.

Look at it now.  It's nice and new.  But it's not the same.  And it never will be again.  It would take me pages... chapters... maybe books to describe the transformation that took place physically, philosophically and psychologically (and my severance deal says I can't do that anyway).  A good chunk of people who were around for picture 1 weren't around for picture 2, and vice versa.  100% of the management team is different.

So here's my point.  I know the TV business is crazy, but I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined what went down.  If this could happen to my former colleagues and me at what once was a stable place to work, it could happen to any of us.... whatever your profession.    The pictures tell the story.  So do yourself a favor and ALWAYS have a backup plan.  Something to get by just in case it all blows up.  It's tough a lesson I'm learning firsthand right now.

--------------------------

Please be smart with any comments you might make.  No need for any personal attacks.





6 comments:

  1. Hey Joe, I am wondering if your post laments change or is lamenting the pace of change that occured?

    The reality of the TV news business-and I know you and I both know this is the model is upside down and was destine to fail--it was a matter of when.

    Newsroom/Content Center--that is happy talk of branding managers. Reality is--we are no longer TV people, we are content people disseminating content and information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Newsroom/Content Center--that is happy talk of branding managers"

    that is spectacular.

    i can't speak for joe... but i can say my problem wasn't with the change at all... or even the fast pace. my problem was the way it was all handled. and i'll just leave it at that.

    thank you for the compliments... and for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jason--my apologies to you. I read this via Joe Cioffi's FB page, and mistakingly thought it was his blog, and not a link to yours. Comments stand,just should not be as familiar with you since you and I have not worked together. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no apology necessary... i thought your comment was right on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it may not seem like it, but I understand where you're coming from with this. I never thought in '05, coming into Merrill Lynch at the height of the mortgage boom, that I would ever see the 94 year old firm collpase...along with the rest of Wall Street. As happy as I am to have gotten out of a bad situation, in a way I was sad to see it go. Not only did my dream job turn out exactly how I wanted it to, but Wall Street will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete