Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dreaming About a New Job

What's your dream job?

Since I don't have a job right now, I get asked that question almost every single day.  As I sit in my apartment trying to figure out what else I can do with the rest of my life, some crazy thoughts run through my head.  I mean seriously... who only has ONE dream job?  I have multiple answers.  I'll share a few that won't make you think I'm completely off-the-reservation crazy.

My first answer is obvious... to play shortstop for the New York Yankees.  Sure, I've lost a step or three since I played in college, but my arm might actually be stronger now.  I can crush a softball.  How much harder can it be to hit a ball that's half that size coming at me three times as hard?  Plus, Derek Jeter is older than me and there's always a running conversation in the media and among scouts that the Yankees would be better off with him in the outfield.  There's always a chance they'll be looking for a new shortstop before I'm out of my prime.

Photobucket Photobucket

The second answer is also obvious.  I'd be a rock star.  I mean, I shouldn't really have to explain this one.  Money... girls... screaming fans...  big houses... fancy cars... more money... and even more girls.  If I can pack Green Rock or The Town Tavern on a cold Wednesday night, filling up MSG or Giants Stadium can't be that much tougher.


Dream job #3?  POTUS... that's media-code for President of the United States.  Why does living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue come in behind being a Yankee or a rock star?  Simple: stress.  For as much fun as the job could be... you see how much older these guys all look when they are done?  Clinton and W's faces aged three decades in eight years. President Obama looks older already and he hasn't even been in office for two months yet.  And if that's not enough of a deterrent, the salary isn't even close to what a Yankee or a rock star make.  But it would still a great gig.

Photobucket Photobucket

After those three jobs... I'd be happy with almost anything that would pay me a lot of money and allow me to live at the beach.  The Jersey Shore would be my first choice, but I'd settle for somewhere in Florida or California... or I guess the Caribbean could also work.

Ok... back down to earth now.

I think I peaked as a baseball player when I was 12 and my team won our town's Little League championship.  The biggest place I've ever been paid to play the guitar is a bar in Pequannock, NJ.  And let's face it... my presidential aspirations would go up in smoke the second the screening committee looked at any of my Facebook pictures.  I'll never completely give up on any of these dream jobs, but I'm also realistic.

It's good to dream.  It's healthy to let your mind wander sometimes. And your answers to the "dream job" question say a lot about who you really are and what makes you happy.  In a weird and twisted way, daydreaming about my dream job is helping me figure out what I want to do with my life.  And more importantly, it's helping me figure out what I DON'T want to do with my life.

So what is your dream job?  I want to hear what you have to say.  I don't care how ridiculous you might think your answer is.

Oh... and one more thing.  If anyone has any connections with the Yankees, a rock band that sells out arenas around the world or anyone already recruiting presidential candidates for the 2012 election, let me know.  You know how to reach me.  I'll email you my resume right away.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever you do, don't do what A-Rod did in his photoshoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go for the rock star gig. Second choice? Fashion designer. Except I can't draw. Or sew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Catcher for the NY Mets
    2. President
    3. Film Director...think Scorsese, not Seymour Butts.

    ReplyDelete